- The Red Men – Matthew de Abaitua (Snow Books)
- The H-Bomb Girl – Stephen Baxter (Faber & Faber)
- The Carhullan Army – Sarah Hall (Faber & Faber)
- The Raw Shark Texts – Steven Hall (Canongate)
- The Execution Channel – Ken MacLeod â€” (Orbit)
- Black Man – Richard Morgan (Gollancz)
Your yearly instalment of controversy starts here!
I’m thinking of starting a shadow award that works off of the Clarke, wherein there is a prize for the book that everyone thought was a shortlist shoo-in, and another prize for the book whose presence on the shortlist no one can understand. Now accepting nominations!